There will be a wild Phil sighting the first weekend of August, at Moonrise Festival, located in the great city of Baltimore, MD. I can’t begin to tell you HOW EXCITED I AM..with a small “Oh mi Gosh, Lord help me make it through the weekend.” For music festivals, and most concerts for that matter, I like to listen to the music to help get me pumped for the event… I said that like it was some super niche thing to do but I understand it’s a normal occurrence for music lovers. Let me have my moment!
I decided to break down the line up and share the sets I’m most excited to see, as well as the sets I’m either indifferent or ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I’m taking a page from Kanye’s playbook and turning this into an evolving blog post. Say I listen to Tyler the Creator and one of his songs vibes with me. I’m going to take him from the “whatever” column to the “you know what, I’m curious about his performance!” column. Thanks again Yeezy. Anyways, Here are my bottom to top picks for Moonrise!
DJ PhiDa’s Picks for Moonrise 2016
Sets I’m least excited about/ Probably going to Miss/ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :
- Claude VonStroke – Unless I’m down to get my deep house and techno on, I’ll probably find another set.
- Tyler the Creator – Bad memories associated with Tyler. I tried… I’ll try again.
- Lee Foss – Pass.
- Young Thug – Great potential to be lit, just not a fan.
- Lny Tnz – Who?
- Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs (TEED) – Didn’t pique my interest at first glance.
- Speaker of the House – Eh.
- Patrick Baker – Probably not.
- SMLE – ^ Same.
- Said the Sky – Actually, let me take another listen.
- Manic Focus – Did I not listen to the right person? Oh no…
- Patrick Baker – Eh.
- Louis Futon – Pass.
- Landis LaPace – Not my cup of tea (and I like tea).
- LAXX – Who?
- Vanick – Is he trap? Who. Links. Pls help.
- Emancipator – We shall see
- The names at the bottom, no disrespect, but I may still be at my pregame if you’re early in the day. I promise to check y’all out at some point
Sets that have Potential and I’m Curious About:
- Apashe – I’ve heard two songs from Apashe, but Trap Requiem was DOPE! Down to see more.
- Caspa & Rusko – Great potential
- AndyC- This could be a really dope set!
- Excision – I know, Excision is awesome. But I just started listening to them and I have to be in the mood for the over the top dub-step… Jokes, he’s dope.
- Lost Kings – The Work remix has me sold . Good set potential
- Shaun Frank – I only know Heaven and I haven’t had the time to dive in, so I’m hoping to see him at some point.
- Young Thug – Yes… I’m curious and kinda want to check out YT’s performance…but I won’t be brokenhearted if I miss it.
- Unlike Pluto – Wow. Anyone that hangs with Diplo and The Chainsmokers is dope to me.
- Gramatik – Obviously this appeals to my hip hop feels, but also not pressed to see the set.
- Jerry Folk – It could go either way for me.
- Valentino Khan – Great potential for litness. I’m down for that
- Green Velvet – GOTTA SUPPORT THE BROTHAS! There’re so few chocolate drops in the EDM world so ya know.
- Bear Grillz – Very curious about this DJ who DJ’ed at Jerry Springer? Rowdy for sure haha.
- Crywolf – not too much to say.
- Bro Safari – Bring on the Trap fam! I’m ready! Also down for the moombahton (house®gae fusion) vibes.
- KRNE- Haha funny story. I was about to write off KRNE and put him in the ” miss list”because I spelled the name wrong so I couldn’t find him. But then I saw specializes in trap and listened to a couple of his songs…I’m interested.
Highly Curious, Show me what you got!
- Oliver Heldens – I’ve also favorited a lot of his songs. Looking forward to a great set!
- San Holo – I’ve been vibing a lot with his stuff
- Jenaux – Every song I’ve listened to so far, I’ve Favorited. Cannot wait to see him live.
- Hermitude – Heard some good songs. Not entirely sold but yeah.
- Cheat Codes – They seem very chill, and I only know maybe two songs from them.
- Ghastly – Samm’s pick, I’m down.
- Team Ezy – He did things with Skrillex so I’m down for that.
HIGH Expectations, BLOW MAH EXPECTATIONS PLS:
- KAYZO – Saw this dude open for Carnage and GOODNESS his set was so hype. So ready to see Kayzo again.
- SNBRN – My friend (Hi Samm) told me to put SNBRN higher on this list. So he has a lot to prove (no he doesn’t, who am I to demand that).
- R3hab – First saw him at Made in America 2014 after being a rebel and staying on the Festival Grands with a huge storm on its way. Got front row. Awesome set.
- Yellow Claw – I went to YC earlier this year, and it was a great set, but I kind of expected more. I’m hoping they really bring it this time around.
- NGHTMRE – Mad respect for this guy. He played right after Carnage’s set at Echostage a year ago and OH MAN he made me forget it was way past my bedtime. So excited to see him.
- Gareth Emery – I’m actually ashamed to say I don’t listen to Gareth all that much…That’s changing and I’m HYPED about his set. Fun fact: he has a degree in politics. See, cool people like politics!
- Anna Lunoe – I saw Anna back in 2013 when she was touring with The Weeknd (go figure) and Banks. I came in midway through her set but I didn’t get a chance to sit down until after her set. That’s a good sign. So excited to see her growth as an artist!
- Boombox Cartel – Sometime soon, I’m going to provide my first reactions to songs…because my first reaction to listening to B2U. When I hear that song, I will transcend into a better echelon of myself (No idea what that means).
- GRIZ – Still relatively new to me, but my friends talk him up, and I like to get funky.
- Marshmello – I’ll miss his performance at Carnage’s RareOrlando, so I’m expecting big things! Digging the music I’ve heard from him. TRAP!
- Jauz – Seen him a few times, now that I think about it. His best hits, Feel the Volume and Rock the Party, are sure to hit the crowd with necessary energy vibes to get through the long day.
Finally, SETS YOU ALREADY KNOW FINNA BE LIT
- Tritonal – As openers to Cash Cash earlier this year, I didn’t know what to expect. But they BLEW me away. Huge fan of their artistry and set. Excited for this!
- The Chainsmokers – Back in 2014, I saw the Chainsmokers right when their hit Selfie took off. It’s been incredible to see their growth. I just saw them in May but I’m BEYOND excited to see them again.
- Flux Pavillion – First found out about him through Chiddy Bang’s use of Can’t Stop. About time I see him live.
- Bassnectar – To be honest, I didn’t really even listen to Bassnectar that much before Moonrise 2016. Song here, song there, but I couldn’t name a full song. Now I can. Chasing Heaven is now the song tied to my super montage of training to defeat a “villain.”
- Flosstradamus – IT’S ABOUT DAMN TIME! I’ve waited so long ever since I first heard their LIT Mosh Pit song. For all my peeps that love Trap, this is it.
- Tiesto – Most recently saw him in March 2016. Except for his sloppyish opening, he murdered his set. And the little trap he dropped out of nowhere. Holy isht.
- Zedd- What a treat. Saw him last Fall at the DC Armory and it was LIT… Literally cause his visuals were just as good as his music. I’m super excited to hear the Kesha version of True Colors live. Fingers crossed she makes an appearance!
Please, please, please if you disagree with me, I’d love to get your take on why this artist is DOPE and I need to check them out right now. If you agree with me, let me know how dope my list is and know you’re DOPE as well. Great ears hear a like (can I trademark that phrase?).
See y’all at Moonrise in a week!
Sidebar: Did you know music festivals and politics could be connected? Stay tuned…